From: Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] add built_with_use_die() to eutils.eclass ?
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:12:51
1 * dju` <dju@g.o> [07/04/23 23:45 +0200]:
2 > # Generate a standard error message for missing USE flags
3 > # in existing packages, and die.
4
5 I dislike that an emerge process dies when a use-flag is not
6 set (okay, it will die otherwise later with the package that
7 needs the dependency with that special use-flag built). It
8 should be better to break with an appropriate message
9 _before_ anything will be compiled. Let's say, directly
10 after portage has calculated the dependencies.
11
12 Your proposal looks like a quick fix for a feature portage
13 can't handle yet. But your attached list of packages which
14 already use that behaviour is already quite long and so you
15 better should convince the portage-devs to include
16 built-use-flags into the dependency calculation.
17
18 Regards, Lars
19
20 PS: I should add the disclaimer, that I did not ask any of
21 the portage devs before I wrote these lines. I only checked
22 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/index.xml#doc_chap8
23 and could not find that this feature is already in
24 development.
25
26 PPS: I know that there are other package-managers out there.
27 And no, I don't want to use these. portage still fits my
28 needs best.
31 Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o> +49-171-1963258
32 Instant Messaging : pylon@××××××××××.de
33 Gentoo Linux PowerPC : Strategical Lead and Release Engineer
34 Gentoo Infrastructure : CVS Administrator