From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-devel/gcc::mgorny up for testing
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 13:57:41
1 On 12/08/14 07:32, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 7:27 AM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 12/07/14 08:18, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >>>>> I will also be happy to work on replacing
5 >>>>> the new versions of original sys-devel/gcc completely. With QA process
6 >>>>> against toolchain.eclass if necessary.
7 >>>>>
8 >>>> Let's get the list of QA issues so I at least can work towards a
9 >>>> toolchain-r1.eclass if you're not interested in going that way. Also, I
10 >>>> take the QA issues seriously, but threatening a QA intervention against
11 >>>> toolchain and then acting by forking is heavy handed. QA actions
12 >>>> against the current codebase is understandable.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> So to sum, I'd like to see the QA issues (and others) address in the
15 >>>> current approache and toolchain.eclass. Since we can make mistakes and
16 >>>> since toolchain is fragile, I suggest a toolchain-r1.eclass where we can
17 >>>> test (just change the inheritance in gcc ebuilds for testing) and
18 >>>> finally, when we're happy, do the switcheroo.
19 >>> First QA issue: toolchain.eclass is intrusive and makes ebuilds hard to
20 >>> understand and track. If you can remove it and make gcc into proper
21 >>> ebuilds that can get revision-level changes, we can discuss.
22 >>>
23 >> Hey! why don't I join QA so I can also "fix" eclasses that I find
24 >> "intrusive". Let's not make QA the final refuge of those who want to push
25 >> through their preferences.
26 >>
27 >> To proceed forward, you have bugs open against toolchain.eclass. The
28 >> practice is to submit the patches to this list for review. If after awards
29 >> you have community support, commit despite the maintainer's objections.
30 >> Having obtained community support, you will have much more legitimacy
31 >> against reverts. I can't speak for the whole council, but I would support
32 >> you under such circumstances. I cannot support a position where QA simply
33 >> asserts itself. When/if an appeal percolates up to the council, I will side
34 >> with the maintainer under the argument that the commit to the eclass was not
35 >> sufficiently reviewed.
36 >>
37 > ++ regarding how QA should operate.
38 >
39 > I have no issues with him forking the ebuild and doing things his own
40 > way though.
41 >
42 > --
43 > Rich
46 Forking code does not address the QA issues currently against
47 toolchain.eclass. The two issues are orthogonal and I don't think I
48 connected them in my emails. I disagree with forking but have no right
49 to obstruct it and would not. In that respect, I'm simply voicing my
50 opinion as a dev. However regarding how QA should operate, I am
51 operating with the guidelines of gentoo self-governance.
54 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
55 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
56 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
57 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
58 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA