From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-devel/gcc::mgorny up for testing
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 12:32:46
1 On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 7:27 AM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 12/07/14 08:18, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >>>>
4 >>>> I will also be happy to work on replacing
5 >>>> the new versions of original sys-devel/gcc completely. With QA process
6 >>>> against toolchain.eclass if necessary.
7 >>>>
8 >>> Let's get the list of QA issues so I at least can work towards a
9 >>> toolchain-r1.eclass if you're not interested in going that way. Also, I
10 >>> take the QA issues seriously, but threatening a QA intervention against
11 >>> toolchain and then acting by forking is heavy handed. QA actions
12 >>> against the current codebase is understandable.
13 >>>
14 >>> So to sum, I'd like to see the QA issues (and others) address in the
15 >>> current approache and toolchain.eclass. Since we can make mistakes and
16 >>> since toolchain is fragile, I suggest a toolchain-r1.eclass where we can
17 >>> test (just change the inheritance in gcc ebuilds for testing) and
18 >>> finally, when we're happy, do the switcheroo.
19 >>
20 >> First QA issue: toolchain.eclass is intrusive and makes ebuilds hard to
21 >> understand and track. If you can remove it and make gcc into proper
22 >> ebuilds that can get revision-level changes, we can discuss.
25 > Hey! why don't I join QA so I can also "fix" eclasses that I find
26 > "intrusive". Let's not make QA the final refuge of those who want to push
27 > through their preferences.
28 >
29 > To proceed forward, you have bugs open against toolchain.eclass. The
30 > practice is to submit the patches to this list for review. If after awards
31 > you have community support, commit despite the maintainer's objections.
32 > Having obtained community support, you will have much more legitimacy
33 > against reverts. I can't speak for the whole council, but I would support
34 > you under such circumstances. I cannot support a position where QA simply
35 > asserts itself. When/if an appeal percolates up to the council, I will side
36 > with the maintainer under the argument that the commit to the eclass was not
37 > sufficiently reviewed.
40 ++ regarding how QA should operate.
41
42 I have no issues with him forking the ebuild and doing things his own
43 way though.
46 Rich