From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-devel/gcc::mgorny up for testing
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 12:24:46
1 On 12/07/14 08:18, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >>> I will also be happy to work on replacing
3 >>> the new versions of original sys-devel/gcc completely. With QA process
4 >>> against toolchain.eclass if necessary.
5 >>>
6 >> Let's get the list of QA issues so I at least can work towards a
7 >> toolchain-r1.eclass if you're not interested in going that way. Also, I
8 >> take the QA issues seriously, but threatening a QA intervention against
9 >> toolchain and then acting by forking is heavy handed. QA actions
10 >> against the current codebase is understandable.
11 >>
12 >> So to sum, I'd like to see the QA issues (and others) address in the
13 >> current approache and toolchain.eclass. Since we can make mistakes and
14 >> since toolchain is fragile, I suggest a toolchain-r1.eclass where we can
15 >> test (just change the inheritance in gcc ebuilds for testing) and
16 >> finally, when we're happy, do the switcheroo.
17 > First QA issue: toolchain.eclass is intrusive and makes ebuilds hard to
18 > understand and track. If you can remove it and make gcc into proper
19 > ebuilds that can get revision-level changes, we can discuss.
22 Hey! why don't I join QA so I can also "fix" eclasses that I find
23 "intrusive". Let's not make QA the final refuge of those who want to
24 push through their preferences.
25
26 To proceed forward, you have bugs open against toolchain.eclass. The
27 practice is to submit the patches to this list for review. If after
28 awards you have community support, commit despite the maintainer's
29 objections. Having obtained community support, you will have much more
30 legitimacy against reverts. I can't speak for the whole council, but I
31 would support you under such circumstances. I cannot support a position
32 where QA simply asserts itself. When/if an appeal percolates up to the
33 council, I will side with the maintainer under the argument that the
34 commit to the eclass was not sufficiently reviewed.
37 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
38 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
39 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
40 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
41 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA