From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emake question
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 13:40:22
1 On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 03:09:25PM -0400, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I'm looking at emake, trying to understand what is being accomplished.
5 > It seems useless to me, though I'll be quite happy if told that I'm
6 > wrong.
7 >
8 > (1) It claims to "auto-parallel make without the annoying syntax". But
9 > it does nothing to parallelize the make process that I can see.
10 >
11 > (2) It uses env, which does nothing in this case.
12 >
13 > (3) It uses a variable MAKEOPTS to pass options along to sub-makes.
14 > Isn't that redundant to GNU make's built in MAKEFLAGS (which are set
15 > and passed to sub-makes automatically)?
16
17 By default, MAKEOPTS is defined at "-j 2", so emake does auto parallelize
18 makes. The reason for emake is that some packages build in parallel, and
19 some don't. Those that do build in parallel should use emake in order to
20 build faster, and those that don't should have a little "doesn't work with
21 emake" comment and just use plan make instead.
22
23 Best Regards,
26 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
27 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org