From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: Peter Johanson <latexer@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy on kernel module ebuilds, etc
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 06:01:41
1 what about /usr/src/linus-beta?
2
3 -John
4
5 On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 03:44, Peter Johanson wrote:
6 > hey all,
7 >
8 > in my work on bug #32737 for external module compilation, i've come
9 > upon one or two instances of problems with kernel module ebuilds. Wanted
10 > to shoot out a quick reminder/announcement about it.
11 >
12 > Kernel module ebuilds should *always* pull their information from
13 > /usr/src/linux/ and not from using `uname` or looking in /proc, etc.
14 > Ebuilds need to remain as "location agnostic" as possible so that liveCD
15 > building and other things people might be doing do not affect things.
16 > (image someone doing a bunch of ebuild installations for some kernel so
17 > they can tar up the bzImage and /lib/modules/${KV} for another box using
18 > portage.)
19 >
20 > So whenever possible, please grab all your info from /usr/src/linux
21 >
22 > Thanks for listening to my mini-rant. (:
23 >
24 > -pete