From: Peter Johanson <latexer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Policy on kernel module ebuilds, etc
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 02:44:25
1 hey all,
2
3 in my work on bug #32737 for external module compilation, i've come
4 upon one or two instances of problems with kernel module ebuilds. Wanted
5 to shoot out a quick reminder/announcement about it.
6
7 Kernel module ebuilds should *always* pull their information from
8 /usr/src/linux/ and not from using `uname` or looking in /proc, etc.
9 Ebuilds need to remain as "location agnostic" as possible so that liveCD
10 building and other things people might be doing do not affect things.
11 (image someone doing a bunch of ebuild installations for some kernel so
12 they can tar up the bzImage and /lib/modules/${KV} for another box using
13 portage.)
14
15 So whenever possible, please grab all your info from /usr/src/linux
16
17 Thanks for listening to my mini-rant. (:
18
19 -pete
20 --
21 Peter Johanson
22 <latexer@g.o>
23
24 Key ID = 0x6EFA3917
25 Key fingerprint = A90A 2518 57B1 9D20 9B71 A2FF 8649 439B 6EFA 3917