From: Christel Dahlskjaer <christel@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union + suggestion for global dev conference (at bottom, if you want to skip)
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 12:49:18
1 On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 11:43 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Sunday 30 April 2006 03:55, Lance Albertson wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Here's an idea I had tonight. Since we're going to be doing the Google
5 > > SoC this summer, perhaps a great project would be having someone work
6 > > on this migration (or at least do an unbiased test implementation). I'd
7 > > be willing to provide an infra server for testing/development. I don't
8 > > see much problem at least trying to work out all the details. I don't
9 > > think infra will go with any change unless there is a clear, detailed
10 > > migration plan with proper back-out plans also. The tree is the most
11 > > important part of our distribution and I'm not going to let such a
12 > > migration go by without proper planning and testing. After the test
13 > > implementation is done and has been fully tested, perhaps the council
14 > > could make the final decision if infra is happy with the
15 > > implementation/migration details.
16 >
17 > I think that is a good idea. It's a perfect google SoC project as it has a
18 > clear boundary. Limited prerequisite knowledge is required, and it is
19 > something we would really benefit from.
20 >
21 > Paul
22 >
23 > ps. Perhaps the SoC project could include fixing up the migration tools
24 > (for example including the hypothesis that all ebuilds for a package
25 > descend from eachother) and other coding necessary to make things work
26 > perfectly.
27
28 Hiya,
29
30 If one of you drop us a line of what you want included on the ideas
31 page, or pop into #gentoo-soc on irc.freenode.net we'll get it up
32 there. :)
33
34 Keep in mind, student applications close on the 8th of May, so the
35 sooner the better.
36
37 Christel
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list