From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union + suggestion for global dev conference (at bottom, if you want to skip)
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 09:46:40
1 On Sunday 30 April 2006 03:55, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 >
3 > Here's an idea I had tonight. Since we're going to be doing the Google
4 > SoC this summer, perhaps a great project would be having someone work
5 > on this migration (or at least do an unbiased test implementation). I'd
6 > be willing to provide an infra server for testing/development. I don't
7 > see much problem at least trying to work out all the details. I don't
8 > think infra will go with any change unless there is a clear, detailed
9 > migration plan with proper back-out plans also. The tree is the most
10 > important part of our distribution and I'm not going to let such a
11 > migration go by without proper planning and testing. After the test
12 > implementation is done and has been fully tested, perhaps the council
13 > could make the final decision if infra is happy with the
14 > implementation/migration details.
15
16 I think that is a good idea. It's a perfect google SoC project as it has a
17 clear boundary. Limited prerequisite knowledge is required, and it is
18 something we would really benefit from.
19
20 Paul
21
22 ps. Perhaps the SoC project could include fixing up the migration tools
23 (for example including the hypothesis that all ebuilds for a package
24 descend from eachother) and other coding necessary to make things work
25 perfectly.
28 Paul de Vrieze
29 Gentoo Developer
30 Mail: pauldv@g.o