From: Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2017 21:36:30
1 On 09/04/2017 18:15, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > Not sure if this is practical, it may be less work if the use of
3 > Python and Ruby versions ( maybe others ) is reversed. Rather than
4 > adding all the versions that the ebuild supports. What if it only
5 > included versions it did not support?
6 >
7 > Rational
8 > When new versions are added. Ebuilds must be updated to support the new
9 > version. This can require editing a decent amount of ebuilds. Many may
10 > work fine with the new version. Making this extra needless work. From a
11 > user point of view, You cannot move to the newer version without
12 > keeping older around till all are updated to the newer version.
13 >
14 > Now one could say its the same work to mark versions not supported. But
15 > I think there is less of that. Also if something supports and older
16 > version and not newer, it may stand out more failing. Requiring someone
17 > to reduce to the older version, and maybe filing bugs to get it updated
18 > to the newer version.
19 >
20 > Python 2.7 stuff aside. I am not sure how many Python and Ruby packages
21 > break with a newer release. In pythons case I think once they support
22 > Python 3.x, there is little chance if it breaking with further 3.x
23 > releases. Not sure about Ruby.
24 >
25 > I could be very wrong and the present way of doing things being the
26 > only way. However if this is feasible it may lead to less work. It
27 > would allow all packages to move to a newer version. Also allowing
28 > punting of older sooner. This leaves the versions solely up to the
29 > eclasses. Then ebuilds simply mark the unsupported versions. Just like
30 > we do now with adding versions it does support.
31 >
32 > Which if something was say only Python 2.7. It would have a >= to
33 > excluded any newer version of Python. That said, we could do the same
34 > with the current way. Saying this supports Python/Ruby >=SLOT.
35 >
36 > Either way I do not think the current way is the best way. You have to
37 > add every version/slot to ebuilds that work fine with any version. When
38 > new ones are added, the ebuild has to be touched again. When it may
39 > work fine with a new version without requiring the ebuild to be
40 > modified.
41 >
42 > This came up with some stuff requiring ruby23 as I moved to 24. Looking
43 > around some stuff has Python 3.5 some 3.6, but all 3.4. So I will stick
44 > to 3.4 till everything is at 3.6. Otherwise no point and still have
45 > other versions.
46 >
47 > The approach mentioned above, if the packages do not have issue. I
48 > could go ahead and switch to ruby24 and pyton 3.6 across the board.
49 > Which I cannot do now till a bunch of ebulids have their targets
50 > increased.
51 >
52 +1 to the python part, cannot speak about ruby.
53 or totally automate the addition of python versions to ebuilds at the
54 exact time of bumping dev-lang/python.