From: "Olivier CrĂȘte" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Should 'imlib' USE flag be on by default in x86 and amd64 desktop profiles?
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 19:27:57
1 On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 15:00 -0400, Jim Ramsay wrote:
2 > I've run into it a few times now that fluxbox users running Gentoo
3 > wonder why they can't get icons to work in the fluxbox menus. The
4 > short answer is that 'imlib' is off by default in many profiles,
5 > including default-linux/amd64/2007.0/desktop and
6 > default-linux/x86/2007.0/desktop
7 >
8 > I know that I could turn it on by default for fluxbox only using EAPI-1,
9 > but since it's a global USE flag, the profiles may be a better place.
10 >
11 > I think imlib is something most desktop users would want, since it lets
12 > them see all those pretty graphics. Comments? Concerns?
13
14 imlib is unmaintained/deprecated. So I don't think it makes sense to
15 push it by default to users using GNOME/KDE at least (because they have
16 better image loading libraries).
19 Olivier CrĂȘte
20 tester@g.o
21 Gentoo Developer