From: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
To: solar@g.o
Cc: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ppc/ppc64 keywords ?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:59:12
1 You're wrong on the performance front. That is a sparc
2 myth, and only applies to sparc. It is true that executables
3 will generally consume more memory, and therefore have longer
4 startup times, so for small apps that get run very often but
5 rarely do anything at all, it could theorhetically be slower.
6 But the fact is the performance numbers as a whole far outweigh
7 the statistically few apps that would be penalized. Things like
8 JAVA, SQL DBs, Mozilla, KDE/Gnome, POVRay, compilations, are
9 all considerably faster in 64bit mode from my experience.
10
11 Also, with that same argument you made, why do we have a amd64
12 port ?? Why don't we have just the stanard x86 port, that compiles
13 a 64bit kernel, and has a 32bit userland. Oh and yes, I am also
14 the lead for amd64 ...
15
16 Basically trust me on this one, unless you have a machine that can
17 prove it. Like I said, sparc's are different beasts (too many poor
18 design choices IMHO)
21 > Brad,
22 >
23 > Why does ppc64 need a 64bit userland?
24 >
25 > It would seem to me that you would not want a 64 bit userland at all.
26 > From my understanding pure 64bit userlands tend to hurt performance
27 > because twice as much data is going across the bus as needed.
28 > Are -m32 -m64 not valid gcc/ld options for you?
29 >