From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ppc/ppc64 keywords ?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:42:04
1 Brad,
2 Thank you for shedding the light on this subject.
3
4 On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 08:59, Brad House wrote:
5 > You're wrong on the performance front. That is a sparc
6 > myth, and only applies to sparc. It is true that executables
7 > will generally consume more memory, and therefore have longer
8 > startup times, so for small apps that get run very often but
9 > rarely do anything at all, it could theorhetically be slower.
10 > But the fact is the performance numbers as a whole far outweigh
11 > the statistically few apps that would be penalized. Things like
12 > JAVA, SQL DBs, Mozilla, KDE/Gnome, POVRay, compilations, are
13 > all considerably faster in 64bit mode from my experience.
14 >
15 > Also, with that same argument you made, why do we have a amd64
16 > port ?? Why don't we have just the stanard x86 port, that compiles
17 > a 64bit kernel, and has a 32bit userland. Oh and yes, I am also
18 > the lead for amd64 ...
19 >
20 > Basically trust me on this one, unless you have a machine that can
21 > prove it. Like I said, sparc's are different beasts (too many poor
22 > design choices IMHO)
25 > > Brad,
26 > >
27 > > Why does ppc64 need a 64bit userland?
28 > >
29 > > It would seem to me that you would not want a 64 bit userland at all.
30 > > From my understanding pure 64bit userlands tend to hurt performance
31 > > because twice as much data is going across the bus as needed.
32 > > Are -m32 -m64 not valid gcc/ld options for you?
33 > >