From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise thread -- a try of clarification
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 12:50:43
1 On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 08:16:32AM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 02:49 +0200, Markus Ullmann wrote:
3 > > > This is a bug for an ebuild that the user does not think is related to
4 > > > the pam_skey. Go back and read what I wrote.
5 > > >
6 > >
7 > > it was agreed upon that we don't keep extra bugzilla or whatever for all
8 > > things on o.g.o but keep track of all issues within bugs.g.o. and btw,
9 > > most work on "new" bugs is done by bug wranglers and not the common
10 > > devs. So if they say the workload from it is too high, I'll take it as
11 > > valid reason as they have to handle it.
12 >
13 > I'm sorry, but you're avoiding the question here. How will the
14 > bug-wranglers even *know* that this is related to a package in the
15 > overlay? They wouldn't. As I ststed *repeatedly* now. The user has
16 > not mentioned that they're using pam_skey, as is a common occurrence in
17 > bugs.
18
19 Curious, how will the wrangler know in general? *cough* they won't.
20
21 You're using a generic arguement against a specific target- iow, apply
22 it to overlays.g.o in general instead of singling sunrise out via it.
23
24 Meanwhile, answer to that one is better bug data for reporting- dump
25 of (random out of the ass example) first level deps, and where they
26 came from (overlay/portdir).
27
28 Downside to that data is that slackers will automatically punt the bug
29 if they see non portdir in cases where it's obvious it's an issue in
30 the pkg rather then the deps, but there always is a downside...
33 > > We're not the first large overlay project, there are other ones out
34 > > there already and these "wrong" bugs aren't a new thing arising here...
35 >
36 > No. You're the first large overlay project that is on official Gentoo
37 > infrastructure, even after it was agreed that there wouldn't be
38 > something like this. With the non-official projects, we simply don't
39 > support any bugs from anyone using them. It's that simple. With this
40 > project, you're vying for official status, meaning we cannot do that.
41 > This will be an *enormous* time sink for the entire ebuild developer
42 > pool.
43
44 Same for above re: "large overlay", realistically, like it or not the
45 general case of N overlay/repo is coming down the pipe.
46
47 Personally, I'd rather see this particular case be handled from the
48 get go as an experiment- lay out from the start the exit conditions
49 for it (if it becomes a dumping ground, out she goes).
50
51 Reason? Devs/users have been after a true testing branch/repo from
52 day one, if we're doing overlays and people are willing to try and
53 supply that demand, lets get the question answered once and for all
54 (instead of everyone and their mother shooting off about every
55 potential they can think of for why it might fail).
56
57 ~harring