From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion for getting rid of udev
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 08:43:52
1 Sorry for being completely OT now, will be the only mail on this from my
2 side...
3
4 On Thursday, 13. October 2011 18:05:47 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:14:31 -0400
6 >
7 > Olivier Crête <tester@g.o> wrote:
8 > > On Wed, 2011-10-12 at 18:49 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
9 > > > On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 23:00:23 +0530
10 > > >
11 > > > Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
12 > > > > Then please continue with udev in package.mask and kindly stop
13 > > > > trying to impose your workflow on the rest of the world.
14 > > >
15 > > > Isn't the point here that the desktop / GNOME OS guys are trying to
16 > > > impose their deep integration, tight coupling workflow upon the
17 > > > rest of the world?
18 > >
19 > > We're imposing our deep integration because it's the only way to make
20 > > a compelling platform that "just works", forcing users to tell the
21 > > computer something the computer already knows is just plain lazy and
22 > > stupid.
23 >
24 > The problem with a platform that "just works" is that when it doesn't
25 > work, no-one knows how to fix it. That's what's happened here: the deep
26 > integration doesn't work in the common case that /usr is on its own
27 > filesystem, but because of all the excessive coupling you're unable to
28 > fix it and so are trying to pass the blame elsewhere.
29 >
30 > The first step in fixing it is to decouple all of the horrible mess
31 > that has been making its way into the base system over the past couple
32 > of years.
33
34 in what way will exherbo deal wih this mess? Are there any plans?
35 Feel free to mail me privately and/or answer this on the user-ML, I think some
36 of us are quite interested.
37
38 Thanks,
39 Michael