From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion for getting rid of udev
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 17:07:06
1 On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:14:31 -0400
2 Olivier Crête <tester@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 2011-10-12 at 18:49 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > > On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 23:00:23 +0530
6 > > Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
7 > > > Then please continue with udev in package.mask and kindly stop
8 > > > trying to impose your workflow on the rest of the world.
9 > >
10 > > Isn't the point here that the desktop / GNOME OS guys are trying to
11 > > impose their deep integration, tight coupling workflow upon the
12 > > rest of the world?
13 >
14 > We're imposing our deep integration because it's the only way to make
15 > a compelling platform that "just works", forcing users to tell the
16 > computer something the computer already knows is just plain lazy and
17 > stupid.
18
19 The problem with a platform that "just works" is that when it doesn't
20 work, no-one knows how to fix it. That's what's happened here: the deep
21 integration doesn't work in the common case that /usr is on its own
22 filesystem, but because of all the excessive coupling you're unable to
23 fix it and so are trying to pass the blame elsewhere.
24
25 The first step in fixing it is to decouple all of the horrible mess
26 that has been making its way into the base system over the past couple
27 of years.
30 Ciaran McCreesh