From: linux-dev <linux-dev@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ethical Policy
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 05:13:04
1 mail programs aside, i have similar questions to
2 Mr. Herbert. could a gentoo developer, or even the founder(s)
3 respond to his questions? there are a bunch of gentoo(-related?)
4 sites at gentoo.com and i'm also curious as to the relation(s)
5 between them and gentoo.org. i don't think a "social contract"
6 is absolutely necessary though the my concerns are still there.
7 i suppose that since the entire project is GPL'ed (if i'm not
8 mistaken), it seems to embrace the concerns of free software,
9 but will it remain that way?
10
11 If i had to compare this to the Debian social contract, i suppose
12 these concerns would address #1,4,5 (of the Debian social contract).
13 Somewhere in one of Daniel Robbins articles for IBM DeveloperWorks,
14 he mentions/rants about the third sentence of #2 "We will feed back
15 bug-fixes, improvements, user requests, etc. to the "upstream"
16 authors of software included in our system." (from the Debian social
17 contract). #3 seems to be covered by the bugzilla "bugs" section.
18
19 the relationship between gnu-style free software and gentoo is
20 (as Mr. Herbert mentions) suggested yet vague, though i'd still like to hear
21 a more definite/authoritative? statement from gentoo developers/founder(s).
22
23 thanks,
24 -r.
25
26 p.s. i still plan on trying it out anyway... ;)