From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 6 portage is out!
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 02:22:21
1 On 11/17/2015 08:04 PM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 >
3 > If your PM doesn't support EAPI6, then those ebuilds will be ignored
4 > just as if they do not exist. It is plenty safe. There can be
5 > issues if EAPI5 or older ~arch packages start -needing- EAPI6-only
6 > ~arch dependencies, but so long as people are careful (and likely,
7 > start bumping to EAPI6 along with the dependencies) then things will
8 > work out without much incident.
11 It doesn't seem that unlikely to me...
12
13 1. Otherwise stable system with package "foo" keyworded as ~arch.
14
15 2. foo needs some dependency of a dependency named "bar".
16
17 3. The bar maintainer revbumps and removes the old EAPI=5 ebuild.
18
19 I don't really care either way, I'm just wondering whether this is
20 "safe" because it's actually safe, or "safe" because we're gonna do it
21 anyway.