From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 6 portage is out!
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 07:26:13
1 >>>>> On Tue, 17 Nov 2015, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2
3 > It doesn't seem that unlikely to me...
4
5 > 1. Otherwise stable system with package "foo" keyworded as ~arch.
6
7 > 2. foo needs some dependency of a dependency named "bar".
8
9 > 3. The bar maintainer revbumps and removes the old EAPI=5 ebuild.
10
11 > I don't really care either way, I'm just wondering whether this is
12 > "safe" because it's actually safe, or "safe" because we're gonna do
13 > it anyway.
14
15 Actually it is quite simple:
16
17 - The stable tree should not contain any EAPI 6 ebuilds at this point,
18 so stable users should not see any change.
19 - Unstable users will have a package manager aware of EAPI 6, so all
20 ebuilds will be visible for it.
21 - If you mix stable and unstable then you are by definition an
22 advanced user, who will be able to cope with the situation. :)
23
24 Ulrich