From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: luke-jr+gentoobugs@×××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Update bitcoin eclass to default to knots
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 16:52:38
1 On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Mathy Vanvoorden <mathy@××××××××××.be> wrote:
2 >
3 > 2017-03-06 15:53 GMT+01:00 Anthony G. Basile <basile@××××××××××.net>:
4 >>
5 >> Bitcoin Knots includes a number of enhancements users may find useful. I
6 >> think it would be a good idea to make it the default for Bitcoin
7 >> ebuilds (net-p2p/bitcoin-qt, net-p2p/bitcoind, and dev-util/bitcoin-tx).
10 > As a Bitcoin user I personally don't feel too happy with my experience
11 > changing without me changing USE-flags. I'm not against changing the name of
12 > the USE-flag, just against changing the default behavior and applying a
13 > bunch of patches that Core might or might not support.
14 >
15 > If you compare this to the kernel would it not make more sense to create
16 > something like bitcoin-knots (vanilla-sources vs gentoo-sources)?
19 Wouldn't this mean having 2^n packages if there are multiple optional
20 patches like this available?
21
22 I could see the argument for bitcoin-vanilla and bitcoin-gentoo,
23 assuming somebody wanted to maintain bitcoin-vanilla. bitcoin-gentoo
24 would just be the current bitcoin ebuild in the tree.
27 Rich