From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Make FEATURES=test the default
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 09:36:46
1 On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 17:25:17 -0700
2 Joshua Jackson <tsunam@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > While I agree that it would be nice to see more
5 > people using test and collision-protect I don't think its something we
6 > should enable at this point in time till we have many packages working
7 > correctly with the feature.
8
9 It's a bit chicken-and-egg. While they're not default, they are a low
10 priority to be fixed. However that said, I've been running with
11 FEATURES=test (and collision-protect) pretty much since I joined
12 (certainly all the time I've been a dev) and it doesn't cause a
13 crippling amount of trouble - mainly because most packages do not
14 include a test suite.
15
16 > If however people feel that by enabling
17 > it, that it'll make us actually fix these issues then I'd like to see
18 > it move forward.
19
20 That's my main motivation for suggesting it. I think packages should
21 not be unmasked until they pass their test phase for the maintainer.
22 They shouldn't go stable until they pass their test phase for the arch
23 testers.
24
25 > I'm just curious as to why this has come up suddenly Kevin?
26
27 Well, it's not sudden for me - I've been thinking it should be
28 the default for a long time, usually every time see a test failure that
29 should have been caught by the maintainer and raise a bug for it. Have
30 to raise the issue some time; there's no particular reason for raising
31 it now, and there's certainly no hurry to change anything. A good time
32 to do it would be when portage goes up a revision (to 2.2, or perhaps
33 even when it goes to 2.1.1 if we think it won't be too disruptive).
34
35 > p.s I hope all dev's run with test and collision-protect, I know I
36 > know you don't but I can hope.
37
38 IMO devs should be working with "collision-protect sandbox strict
39 stricter test userpriv" but let's not get too excited ;)
42 Kevin F. Quinn