From: Sascha Geschwandtner <s.geschwandtner@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Make FEATURES=test the default
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 11:19:28
1 "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
2
3 I don't know if anyone is interested in my opinion, but I'll dump it on
4 you anyway. :-)
5
6 > IMO devs should be working with "collision-protect sandbox strict
7 > stricter test userpriv" but let's not get too excited ;)
8
9 ACK. I also agree with the general idea to turn on some FEATUREs
10 by default to help ensuring ebuild and program correctness, etc. Those
11 that you mentioned are the features I usually use, some of them with few
12 or no problems, some with frequent problems. My experiences (of anecdotal
13 value only, of course):
14
15 a) strict - default in the selinux profiles, works fine
16
17 b) collision-protect - the last problem I had occurred several months ago
18 and concerned ownership of /usr/X11R6
19
20 c) userpriv:
21 1) only one ebuild really failed so far
22 2) problems if (like me) you use umask=077 as root to compile your
23 kernel and the program you wish to install wants to access certain files
24 in /usr/src/linux, which fails and breaks (e.g. nvidia-drivers) or
25 misinterprets the situation and configure turns on some weird features or
26 turns off others, and perhaps breaks later (e.g. alsa-driver)
27
28 d) sandbox - no issue with it this year, for some reason not default in
29 the selinux profile
30
31 e) stricter - numerous ebuilds fail to install (ffmpeg, openoffice-bin,...)
32
33 f) test - numerous ebuild fail AND a (very) few programs take a *long* time
34 to go through the tests. Not only the former, but especially the latter
35 makes "test" IMHO unsuitable as a default option.
36
37 So right now, I'd like to see "collision-protect sandbox strict" included
38 in the default FEATUREs.
39
40 Perhaps it would be a good idea to announce somewhere (maybe GWN) that
41 new default FEATUREs are going to be added at some point and widespread
42 tests are needed beforehand?
43 --
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list