From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] news item for udev 197-r3 upgrade (yes, I know, it's late)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 02:04:41
1 On 23/01/13 21:06, Felix Kuperjans wrote:
2 > Mike Gilbert:
3 >> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM, Felix Kuperjans
4 >> <felix@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> Samuli Suominen wrote:
6 >>>> please review this news item, seems we need one after all
7 >>> Hello Samuli,
8 >>>
9 >>> /dev/root is no longer available in this udev version, so people who put
10 >>> this in their /etc/fstab might end up with an unbootable system.
11 >>>
12 >>> I suggest including in the news item, that /dev/root must be replaced
13 >>> with the actual root device or LABEL=..., UUID=... and the like in
14 >>> /etc/fstab.
15 >>>
16 >> fstab is not consulted for mounting the root filesystem, so it doesn't
17 >> really matter what you have in there. Either the kernel mounts it
18 >> based on the kernel command line, or your initramfs mounts it based on
19 >> whatever your /init programs does.
20 > Well, *if* a line with /dev/root is present in /etc/fstab, the system
21 > does not boot up properly (tested it right now).
22 > I always though such a line in /etc/fstab is needed so that fsck is run
23 > on the root filesystem...
24 >
25 > Removing the line completely boots up fine, but the filesystem has not
26 > been fscked on boot.
27
28 I don't think we ever instructed users for adding such line... if we
29 did, I'll eat my words.
30 So, I don't think it's necessary to instruct them away from it either,
31 never seen such fstab line.
32
33 Maybe I'm too naive.
34