From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: news item for udev 197-r3 upgrade (yes, I know, it's late)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 03:12:15
1 Samuli Suominen posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 04:04:19 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 23/01/13 21:06, Felix Kuperjans wrote:
4 >>> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM, Felix Kuperjans
5 >>> <felix@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>> Samuli Suominen wrote:
7 >>>>> please review this news item
8 >>>>
9 >>>> /dev/root is no longer available in this udev version
10 >>>>
11 >>>> I suggest including in the news item, that /dev/root must be replaced
12 >>>> with the actual root device or LABEL=..., UUID=... and the like in
13 >>>> /etc/fstab.
14 >>>>
15 >> Well, *if* a line with /dev/root is present in /etc/fstab, the system
16 >> does not boot up properly (tested it right now).
17 >> I always though such a line in /etc/fstab is needed so that fsck is run
18 >> on the root filesystem...
19 >>
20 >> Removing the line completely boots up fine, but the filesystem has not
21 >> been fscked on boot.
22 >
23 > I don't think we ever instructed users for adding such line... if we
24 > did, I'll eat my words.
25 > So, I don't think it's necessary to instruct them away from it either,
26 > never seen such fstab line.
27
28 Well technically, we used (and still use, see below) the uppercase
29 /dev/ROOT, with instructions documenting what to replace it with. But
30 some users apparently simply lowercased that ROOT, and for years it "just
31 worked". (Below output edited slightly for posting. $>> indicates the
32 shell prompt.):
33
34 $>>equery b fstab
35 * Searching for fstab ...
36 sys-apps/baselayout-2.2 (/usr/share/baselayout/fstab)
37
38 $>>grep -i /dev/root /usr/share/baselayout/fstab
39 /dev/ROOT / ext3 noatime 0 1
40
41 $>>
42
43 [TLDR folks can stop there. The rest is historic observation, arguably
44 interesting, admittedly ranty, but not vital.]
45
46 Years ago (remember, my first successful gentoo install was 2004.1), the
47 fstab example file found in /usr/share/baselayout/fstab was packaged as
48 /etc/fstab directly. Now, the handbook of the era took great pains to
49 guide people thru editing it appropriately, saying the ALLCAPS entries
50 were intended to be replaced as appropriate for the individual install,
51 AND people were expected to actually use etc-update or the like for its
52 intended purpose, so people weren't /supposed/ to have it simply
53 overwritten.
54
55 Unfortunately, a lot of folks (<sarcasm> yes, gentooers, could you
56 believe it? </sarcasm>) couldn't read instructions properly, and I'd say
57 gentoo-user averaged at least two threads a month from folks who had
58 killed their fstab with an update and a simple etc-update direct-replace,
59 or couldn't get gentoo self-booting in the first place due to not editing
60 the file at all, despite the instructions to do so.
61
62 And I'm sure many more read the threads on the list and in the forums,
63 and didn't make a mistake they otherwise would have... I know I
64 certainly did. I've said before that I was actively helping people on
65 the lists well before I got my own gentoo system up and running. (Turned
66 out there was a bug in at least amd64's 2004.0 handling of the then still
67 new NPTL, that I ran into somewhere along the way. I don't know what the
68 fix was, but 2004.1 installed just fine from stage-1, so it must have
69 been fixed... As a result, I was active on the lists for several months
70 before I actually got my own install working, by which time I knew the
71 documentation pretty well, given the help I was giving to others based on
72 it the whole time.)
75 Some of us were actually rather sad to see the file moved to /usr/share,
76 since with it working as it did, gentoo newbies tended to learn to
77 actually pay attention to the instructions reasonably early on, after
78 being pointed to them. As I've said before, it was well known and
79 frequently posted in the user lists back then that gentoo wasn't a
80 handholding distribution. Gentooers, as sysadmins of their own systems,
81 were expected to take responsibility for them, reading instructions,
82 etc. If they preferred not to or couldn't learn to do so after a couple
83 mistakes like that, well, there were (and are still) other distributions
84 more suited to them, and in all seriousness, not to put people down but
85 simply to recommend a distro that would be a better fit for them, it
86 wasn't rare at all to see a recommendation that people seriously assess
87 whether they wanted to take on that responsibility, and if not, they
88 really should be on a different distro, as gentoo definitely wasn't for
89 them!
92 So a /dev/ROOT entry was and actually still is part of the default fstab,
93 it's just that the baselayout package places that fstab elsewhere, these
94 days.
95
96 Evidently, some users saw the example and simply lowercased that
97 /dev/ROOT entry into /dev/root, despite the handbook specifically
98 recommending replacing it with the appropriate /dev/[sh]daX parameter,
99 and because of the kernel/devfs/udev entry for that, it "just worked".
100
101 Now that long stale entry is beginning to cause issues.
104 Meanwhile, if we still shipped /etc/fstab directly, as back then, I
105 expect we'd have way less troubles with people not paying attention to
106 instructions and trying to foist their responsibilities as sysadmin onto
107 gentoo devs, as they'd either learn how vital it is early on, or
108 ultimately go looking for a distribution more appropriately matched to
109 their needs. IMO the mistake we've made is that we TRY TOO HARD to
110 coddle users, doing a good enough job of it most of the time that they
111 expect it ALL the time now. But as I've said before, gentoo's not ABOUT
112 handholding/babysitting, or at least it wasn't. If that's what people
113 want/need/expect, no shame in admitting it. Rather, there's pride in the
114 fact that a user could intelligently assess the situation and make a
115 reasonable decision that gentoo is NOT for them. There's all sorts of
116 distros standing in /line/ to fill that coddling spot, and it's something
117 gentoo simply cannot and will not ever be good at, so why do we try so
118 hard, only to let people down at the worst time because we're effectively
119 promising them a coddling service we can't reliably deliver?
122 Yes, deliver the documentation. Print a warning in pkg_pretend and in
123 pkg_postinst as well. Maybe even do a news item if we think it's worth
124 the trouble. But after that, RESOLVED/READTHEDOCS. It'll be worse for a
125 few months, but soon enough, we should have far fewer bugs of that sort,
126 as people will have learned.
129 And yes, that may seem a rather harsh policy. But gentoo was attracting
130 users in droves back then and was a seriously up and coming distro. Now
131 look at it. We have are nitch, yes, but we're afraid to properly claim
132 it and unhesitatingly recommend that people look elsewhere if they find
133 it inappropriate for them. We've lost the identity that make gentoo what
134 it /was/, and in the process, we've simply become one among many, an
135 "also-ran".
140 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman