From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding slot and subslot deps to others' packages
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 16:44:34
1 On Tue, 2014-03-04 at 15:54 +0400, Sergey Popov wrote:
2 > 02.03.2014 19:52, Michał Górny пишет:
3 > > Dnia 2014-03-02, o godz. 16:45:03
4 > > Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> napisał(a):
5 > >
6 > >> On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 09:37:22 +0100
7 > >> Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
8 > >>
9 > >>> Few months ago I have written a small FAQ on how to use slots
10 > >>> and subslots for library dependencies properly [1]. However, today
11 > >>> I see that most of the developers didn't care to properly update their
12 > >>> packages and when I introduced binary compatibility slot in libgcrypt,
13 > >>> I had my hands full of work fixing the mess for a single package.
14 > >>
15 > >> How about you file a tracker bug report for each library package, and
16 > >> then file bug reports per package using that dependency blocking the
17 > >> tracker bug?
18 > >
19 > > Excuse me but are you serious? I'm supposed to report a faftillion
20 > > of bugs? Filing them will take more time than fixing the packages, not
21 > > to mention all the time wasted on handling responses and all other
22 > > noise. But it seems that Gentoo developers lately prefer noise over
23 > > real work.
26 > Excuse me, will you get the full burden of possible breakages of all of
27 > the touched packages and will you not saying 'i updated the package and
28 > broke it, maintainers, please fix!'. No, sir, that would not work.
29 >
30 > I agreed with Jeroen - file a bug or ping people in IRC.
31
32 When you rename or slotmove a package, or when you add slots to
33 something that was previously unslotted, it's your job to look through
34 the tree and edit the dependencies of anything that pulls in your
35 package to use the correct slot and name. You don't ask the maintainers
36 for permission because keeping the tree consistent is more important
37 than territorial fights. And of course, you have to be very careful when
38 doing it - if you mess up and break someone's ebuild they will yell at
39 you, users will yell at you, and you will need to quickly fix the
40 problem!
41
42 What Michał wanted to do is exactly the same process, only because it
43 was going to be on a large scale (hundreds of ebuilds affected) he
44 decided to ping gentoo-dev first.