From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Fwd: [gentoo-security] Trojan for Gentoo, part 2]]
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 13:28:02
1 Michael Tindal wrote:
2 > I shouldnt send e-mails this early in the morning (sorry Ciaran)...
3 >
4 > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
5 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
6 >
7 >> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 12:16:06 +0000 Chris Bainbridge
8 >> <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com> wrote:
9 >> | Another problem is that a lot of people here don't seem to care about
10 >> | security. We even had people arguing against stack-protector as
11 >> | default because of a theoretical 3% performance hit on some rare types
12 >> | of code. Even Microsoft with its poor security record is using stack
13 >> | protection compilers now!
14 >>
15 >> Get your facts straight before starting off on that again. This "run
16 >> around like a headless chicken whenever someone says the word
17 >> 'security'" mentality is getting rather tedious.
21 > To second Ciaran here,
22 >
23 > Microsoft _does_ ship stack-protection compiler now, however, the switch
24 > is only enabled for core system components, not every piece of software
25 > distributed. Its definitely not on by default. A 3% performance hit
26 > isnt the only reason its shot down, -fstack-protector is only a
27 > band-aid, and breaks a lot of programs. It is nice for finding holes in
28 > software, but it should only be used really by the people looking for
29 > such holes. Imposing it on our user-base would not be a very wise
30 > decision as it would confuse and infuriate a good number of our users.
31 > If you're really that paranoid about security have a look at PaX and the
32 > like, but don't go running around like this hole is the end of the
33 > world. Even the most secure setups can be broken, so its better we take
34 > our time to come up with a good solution than rush into something just
35 > because you think youre compromised.
36 >
37 > Mike Tindal
40 ...and again I would like to point out that we've been through this
41 flame before. Why start it up again? The same responses will be sent
42 and clutter everybody's mailbox with crap.
43
44 Steve
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list