From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:12:12
1 On Sun, 2005-09-04 at 20:12 -0500, Daniel Goller wrote:
2 > sounds like you suggest to trick ~arch users into testing "unripe"
3 > ebuilds/bumps/versions by sending it into ~arch to get the testing done while
4 > someone in a chroot would be much better equipped for doing the testing with?
5
6 No.
7
8 You've got to look at it in the context of the environment we work in.
9
10 The vast majority of our packages do not come with test strategies,
11 comprehensive test scripts, automated test cases that provide a large
12 coverage of the code base, or any other QA tools that a career software
13 QA person would expect / desire. We don't have activities in place to
14 fill this gap - it's probably beyond our very limited resources anyhow.
15 We don't require (and don't cover in the quizzes) devs to have any
16 training or experience of deterministic software testing, or of
17 regression testing. It is not our policy to require devs to write
18 regression tests for every valid bug posted in Bugzilla (or for any bug
19 at all, for that matter).
20
21 A package maintainer does what testing he can, and there are times when
22 we'd all wish the maintainer had done more :) But there will always be
23 the need for a wider audience to be encouraged to test the package. A
24 good rule of thumb is that a QA budget should be 40% of the development
25 budget. We don't have the manpower to come anywhere near that.
26
27 We have only a fraction of the resources of Debian or RedHat - there
28 comes a point where we have to make up the difference *somehow*. For
29 better or for worse, historically in Gentoo we've done it by turning to
30 our users.
31
32 Many *users* look on package.masked packages as being dangerous to
33 install, but are much more willing to run ~arch packages. If you mask a
34 version of a popular package, you'll get a lot of correspondence asking
35 you when you'll unmask it, but you won't get much testing feedback to go
36 with it. Once the package moves to ~arch, the amount of feedback
37 improves substantially.
38
39 If a package maintainer believes that a package WORKSFORME *after due
40 diligence*, then he's not only entitled to move it to ~arch, but he's
41 got no reason not to.
42
43 I've been through this first hand over the last 14 months with PHP 5.
44 It's a big package, one that I use all day every working day, and a
45 topic I co-wrote the official certification study guide for. It's fair
46 to say that it's a package I know a lot about, and that others in the
47 community recognise I know well. But, with over 100 separate features
48 to enable and disable, even over 14 months there are large parts of the
49 package that I won't have tested in depth, and there will always be
50 features that I'll never touch.
51
52 I kept PHP5 masked for those 14 months, and (as Jakub and others can
53 confirm) most of the feedback has been limited to "unmask that
54 puppy" (sometimes put in stronger terms ;-) There were some bugs from
55 users who had found issues, but not many.
56
57 Rather than unmask the packages before they were read, I changed to
58 another approach. I moved the work out of Portage into an overlay
59 instead. This worked well. It has attracted a bunch of regulars to
60 #gentoo-apache who have spent the last few months finding the bugs that
61 existed, and making sure that they're fixed and stay fixed. It looks
62 likely that we'll get some new devs out of that too :)
63
64 Overlays are easy for larger pieces of work like PHP, Java,
65 Gnome/Gentopia, but they'll always be small packages where an overlay
66 feel like too much effort. They may not be the answer to everything.
67
68 If we'd seen through the policy that every package has to belong to a
69 herd, then we could organise overlays by herd - and maybe leave it up to
70 the arch teams to import "stable" packages from the overlays into the
71 Portage tree proper.
72
73 Best regards,
74 Stu
75 --
76 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
77 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
78 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
79
80 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
81 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C