From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: Stuart Herbert <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re[2]: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 09:25:54
1 5.9.2005, 22:09:28, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2
3 > I kept PHP5 masked for those 14 months, and (as Jakub and others can
4 > confirm) most of the feedback has been limited to "unmask that
5 > puppy" (sometimes put in stronger terms ;-) There were some bugs from
6 > users who had found issues, but not many.
7
8 Well, yeah - and the same goes for e.g. MySQL-4.1; the only thing you get from
9 p.masking popular packages is a be-weekly bug like "WTH is this still masked,
10 upstream says it's stable and best version released yet which everyone should
11 upgrade to" ;p
12
13 Real testing from users comes when it goes to ~arch, then they start screaming
14 "hell, it broke my box, why isn't this p.masked, it's so buggy!" :)
15
16 So, unless we have a *lot more* devs to do thorough testing of p.masked ebuilds
17 (totally unfeasible to test all the PHP5 features e.g., if you have some 3
18 people in php herd), then it's largely up to users to do the testing in ~arch.
19 p.mask ebuilds will be tested by really *few* users, so most of the bugs will
20 stay unnoticed until this is moved to ~arch.
23 > Rather than unmask the packages before they were read, I changed to
24 > another approach. I moved the work out of Portage into an overlay
25 > instead. This worked well. It has attracted a bunch of regulars to
26 > #gentoo-apache who have spent the last few months finding the bugs that
27 > existed, and making sure that they're fixed and stay fixed. It looks
28 > likely that we'll get some new devs out of that too :)
29
30 Absolutely. The overlay made the whole thing get into portage *much* faster
31 then all those months in p.mask.
35 Best regards,
36
37 Jakub Moc
38 mailto:jakub@g.o
39 GPG signature: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
40 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
41
42 ... still no signature ;)