From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE Flag Grouping) with -@GROUP goodness
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:29:56
1 On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 14:46 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:12:56 -0400 Chris Gianelloni
3 > <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
4 > | USE=X is not a requirement for Gnome. Honestly, neither is USE=gtk or
5 > | USE=gtk2. In fact, even USE=gnome isn't a requirement for Gnome. USE
6 > | flags enable *optional* dependencies, not the real dependencies. That
7 > | means that the dependency tree really has ZERO to do with USE flag
8 > | grouping. Instead the USE flags should be grouped according to
9 > | relationship, rather than dependency. At least, that's how I'm
10 > | gauging this.
11 >
12 > Personally I've been using the terms "purpose" and "functionality"
13 > rather than "relationship", but yeah, that's the idea. Maybe I need to
14 > make that clearer.
15 >
16 > [ Still hoping that someone will come up with a really clever solution
17 > which keeps Maurice happy without making the GLEP more complicated... ]
18
19 Well, simply making it so that a USE flag can only belong to one group
20 or no groups. There are plenty of things that can be taken this way.
21
22 Also, local USE flags should definitely never be included in groups.
23 I'm not sure if you had specified that.
24
25 Here are some groups that I thought up by looking through the current
26 global use.desc file. This is definitely not everything possible as
27 there are many that I do not really know what they do, so I just skipped
28 them. Anyway, this gives you a good example of how it would be done
29 without duplicating USE flags in more than one group.
30
31 @IM="aim icq jabber msn oscar yahoo"
32 @KDE="arts kde qt"
33 @VIDEOCODEC="avi divx4linux mpeg quicktime xvid"
34 @IMAGETYPE="bmp exif gd gif jpeg mng png svg tiff wmf"
35 @COMPRESS="bzlib zlib"
36 @CRYPTO="crypt ssl"
37 @PRINTER="cups foomaticdb ppds slp"
38 @FRAMEBUFFER="directfb fbcon"
39 @GNOME="esd gnome gtk gtk2"
40 @AUDIOCODEC="flac mikmod oggvorbis"
43 Chris Gianelloni
44 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
45 Games - Developer
46 Gentoo Linux
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list