From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE Flag Grouping) with -@GROUP goodness
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:47:40
1 On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:12:56 -0400 Chris Gianelloni
2 <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 | USE=X is not a requirement for Gnome. Honestly, neither is USE=gtk or
4 | USE=gtk2. In fact, even USE=gnome isn't a requirement for Gnome. USE
5 | flags enable *optional* dependencies, not the real dependencies. That
6 | means that the dependency tree really has ZERO to do with USE flag
7 | grouping. Instead the USE flags should be grouped according to
8 | relationship, rather than dependency. At least, that's how I'm
9 | gauging this.
10
11 Personally I've been using the terms "purpose" and "functionality"
12 rather than "relationship", but yeah, that's the idea. Maybe I need to
13 make that clearer.
14
15 [ Still hoping that someone will come up with a really clever solution
16 which keeps Maurice happy without making the GLEP more complicated... ]
19 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
20 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
21 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm