From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE Flag Grouping) with -@GROUP goodness
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:15:26
1 On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 07:34 +0900, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
2 > It still doesn't make sense to me. GTK is just as much a dependency of
3 > Gnome, as much X is a dependency of GTK (or Gnome for that matter).
4 >
5 > Anyway, the way I imagine things is that people would use these groups
6 > to be able to quickly specify their use flags from scratch. And the use
7 > I imagine being the most obvious is:
8 >
9 > USE="-* @GNOME".
10 >
11 > That, however, is not really gonna do it, if X is not in @GNOME.
12
13 USE=X is not a requirement for Gnome. Honestly, neither is USE=gtk or
14 USE=gtk2. In fact, even USE=gnome isn't a requirement for Gnome. USE
15 flags enable *optional* dependencies, not the real dependencies. That
16 means that the dependency tree really has ZERO to do with USE flag
17 grouping. Instead the USE flags should be grouped according to
18 relationship, rather than dependency. At least, that's how I'm gauging
19 this.
22 Chris Gianelloni
23 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
24 Games - Developer
25 Gentoo Linux
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list