From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bug voting
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:48:03
1 On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:18:55 -0400 Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | On Tuesday 27 July 2004 2:07 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > Except that the voting will not be indicative of what our user base
5 | > actually wants. Instead, it will indicate the whim of a vocal
6 | > minority of Off The Wall posters and zealots from that IRC channel
7 | > I'm not allowed to talk about. Most of our users don't condone
8 | > join-flooding other distributions' channels on IRC. Most of our
9 | > users give at least a vague hoot about having a stable kernel and
10 | > filesystem. Most of our users would rather that their ebuilds
11 | > compiled, even if it meant missing out on the occasional x.x.x.1
12 | > release from upstream. However, most of those users won't be voting.
13 |
14 | Those are assumptions, nothing more.
15
16 Those are assumptions based upon a very large amount of evidence
17 obtained from the forums, the -user mailing list and IRC. Like it or
18 not, we *do* have a small number of users who *do* going around
19 trolling, spamming and generally making a nuisance of themselves. You
20 really think that the aa-G aa-E thing is indicative of our user base?
21
22 | > We already have a good indication of how many people care about a
23 | > bug -- the length of the Cc: list usually works pretty well.
24 |
25 | Really? So you think that if we started measuring the CC lists that
26 | it wouldn't somehow be tainted by the "vocal minority" that would
27 | otherwise be voting? Your logic is totally flawed.
28
29 No, I'm saying it's an indicator which already exists if someone wants
30 to find out how popular their bug might be, nothing more. However, Cc:
31 list spamming is pretty pointless, whereas vote spamming could be
32 construed to mean something.
33
34 | I frankly don't understand why you're so outspoken on this issue. You
35 | can ignore votes if that's what you choose to do. This is not a
36 | policy change proposal, this is an enhancement request for Bugzilla.
37
38 1) Because it will lead to "this bug has over a hundred votes, why is
39 it being ignored?" posts.
40
41 2) Because it is yet another field in bugzilla. We already have far too
42 many clicky boxes for most people.
43
44 3) Because it will lead to vote spamming. Search the Off The Wall forum
45 for "portage ignorance" for a good example of why this won't work.
46
47 | Also please read: http://www.unixguide.net/freebsd/faq/16.19.shtml
48
49 Posting irrelevant links does not make an argument.
52 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
53 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
54 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm