From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bug voting
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:23:33
1 On Tuesday 27 July 2004 2:07 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Except that the voting will not be indicative of what our user base
3 > actually wants. Instead, it will indicate the whim of a vocal minority
4 > of Off The Wall posters and zealots from that IRC channel I'm not
5 > allowed to talk about. Most of our users don't condone join-flooding
6 > other distributions' channels on IRC. Most of our users give at least a
7 > vague hoot about having a stable kernel and filesystem. Most of our
8 > users would rather that their ebuilds compiled, even if it meant missing
9 > out on the occasional x.x.x.1 release from upstream. However, most of
10 > those users won't be voting.
11
12 Those are assumptions, nothing more.
13
14 > We already have a good indication of how many people care about a bug --
15 > the length of the Cc: list usually works pretty well.
16
17 Really? So you think that if we started measuring the CC lists that it
18 wouldn't somehow be tainted by the "vocal minority" that would otherwise
19 be voting? Your logic is totally flawed.
20
21 A person could easily CC: themselves on 1,000+ open bugs. However, you
22 are only allocated a certain number of votes, therefore a person has to
23 exercise economy about what things matter to them most.
24
25 I frankly don't understand why you're so outspoken on this issue. You can
26 ignore votes if that's what you choose to do. This is not a policy change
27 proposal, this is an enhancement request for Bugzilla.
28
29 It's optional for the users to use it, it's optional for us to make
30 decisions based on it. But in cases when it is used, it can be helpful to
31 determine what bugs are causing the people most pain, or what enhancements
32 are most desired.
33
34 Also please read: http://www.unixguide.net/freebsd/faq/16.19.shtml
35