From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bug voting
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:09:54
1 On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:27:29 -0400 Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | On Tuesday 27 July 2004 1:04 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > Well, given that most of our users don't seem to be able to get the
5 | > priority field straight ("Waah! There's a tiny typo in an einfo
6 | > statement! BLOCKER!"), I'd be kind of sceptical about an easily
7 | > rigged popularity contest. I suspect we'd just end up seeing
8 | > thousands of votes for "add more pictures to bootsplash" and "add
9 | > this horribly broken kernel patch to g-d-s"...
10 |
11 | That's a grim assessment. In any case, it doesn't matter how someone
12 | spends their votes. If many people spend votes for bootsplash, and
13 | bootsplash enhancements end up being a priority, then I would hope we
14 | would respond by incorporating them with the same priority as our own
15 | personal wishlists.
16
17 Except that the voting will not be indicative of what our user base
18 actually wants. Instead, it will indicate the whim of a vocal minority
19 of Off The Wall posters and zealots from that IRC channel I'm not
20 allowed to talk about. Most of our users don't condone join-flooding
21 other distributions' channels on IRC. Most of our users give at least a
22 vague hoot about having a stable kernel and filesystem. Most of our
23 users would rather that their ebuilds compiled, even if it meant missing
24 out on the occasional x.x.x.1 release from upstream. However, most of
25 those users won't be voting.
26
27 We already have a good indication of how many people care about a bug --
28 the length of the Cc: list usually works pretty well.
31 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
32 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
33 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm