From: Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, base-system@g.o, multilib@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: multilib and fhs 3
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 10:54:20
1 On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 05:48:15PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > fhs 3.0 was approved in June this year [1] [2].
5 >
6 > The piece of it that I want to bring up is the lib and libxx
7 > directories, both in / and /usr. The way I read the fhs, /lib and
8 > /usr/lib should hold the files for the default abi and /libxx and
9 > /usr/libxx should hold the files for the alternate abis. In earlier fhs,
10 > there was an exception for amd64 which stated that the default libraries
11 > should be in /lib64 and /usr/lib64. However, that exception is now gone.
12 >
13 > I know there was discussion/work in the past on removing the lib->lib64
14 > symlinks on amd64, but I don't remember what happened to that
15 > discussion. So, I would like to bring it up again and get the info.
16 >
17 > What would it take for us to remove the lib->lib64 links?
18 >
19 > What would it take for us to do this migration on live systems?
20 >
21 > William
22 >
23 > [1] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/en/FHS
24 > [2] http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs-3.0.html
25
26 Not sure we have to move it.
27
28 "3.10. /lib<qual> : Alternate format essential shared libraries (optional)
29 3.10.1. Purpose
30 There may be one or more variants of the /lib directory on systems which
31 support more than one binary format requiring separate libraries. [13]"
32
33 Note 13 is:
34 "[13] This is commonly used for 64-bit or 32-bit support on systems which
35 support multiple binary formats, but require libraries of the same name.
36 In this case, /lib32 and /lib64 might be the library directories, and
37 /lib a symlink to one of them."
38
39 Unless im misunderstanding, we are fine as is with lib32, lib64 and
40 lib->lib64
41
42 -- Jason