From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Prevent binary/non-compiled packages from binary package creation
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2017 01:42:32
1 On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 10:50:45 +1000
2 "Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wraeth@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 10/08/17 06:35, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
5 > > FYI binpkgs have no hash. If someone did something malicious within
6 > > the binhost to the binpkgs. You have no way of knowing. Yes the
7 > > same can happen with ebuilds and manifest. But easy to sync portage
8 > > and see if a manifest has changed.
9 >
10 > This isn't exactly true - see ${PKGDIR}/Packages on the binhost, which
11 > is a manifest of built packages and related metadata. Granted this is
12 > created by the binhost, it does exist and contains SHA1 and MD5
13 > hashes, as well as package size. In that sense it's no different to
14 > how a package Manifest file works within a repository.
15
16 You are correct. I meant to say no verifiable hash. You can hash
17 anything locally and claim it to be trustworthy. Thus mentioning
18 syncing portage to compare manifest of ebuild/SRC_URI.
19
20 Someone remakes a binpkg tarball, edits ${PKGDIR}/Packages with new
21 SHA1 and MD5. No way to know.
22
23 IMHO SRI_URI is more trustworthy than binhost, in the sense of
24 verification. If you have means to verify the binhost stuff it maybe
25 more trustworthy. That is left to the admin.
26
27 I see binpkg as a temporary convenience. I am doing updates across many
28 of the same systems. Less images, containers, etc. I made binaries on
29 one system. Immediately used as updated on others. Then discarded on
30 binhost. Also used for testing, reverting between slotted versions.
33 William L. Thomson Jr.