From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Kevin <gentoo-dev@××××××.biz>
Cc: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Major MCE problem with SMP on Gentoo kernels
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 13:03:18
1 On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 07:06, Kevin wrote:
2 > I've now tried a stage 3 installation booting the 2.6.1 SMP kernel from a
3 > 2004.0 LiveCD (the SMP configs on 2004.1 LiveCDs are all broken---see bug
4 > #49382).
5
6 I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I have a CD
7 (actually, a GameCD beta) available at
8 http://dev.gentoo.org/~wolf31o2/x86-ut2004demo-20040420.iso that you
9 could grab. It has only one kernel, and it is SMP. It has booted and
10 worked successfully on every machine I have tried it on, and even has
11 X+fluxbox on it.
12
13 > I had no lockup problems while running that kernel, but after rebooting
14 > with my kernel (gentoo-sources, built with Chris's
15 > CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer") I've already
16 > suffered two lockups. I set MAKEOPS="-j1" for safety.
17
18 Copy the kernel from my CD and the /lib/modules/2.6.5-gentoo-r1 and see
19 if that kernel works fine on your machine in your build environment.
20
21 > Something very weird here. Next, I'm going to try booting from the cd and
22 > chrooting into my system and then doing more extensive testing of the
23 > kernel on the cd, but I'm really running out of options here. I'll
24 > probably also try building another kernel with CFLAGS="-march=pentium3
25 > -O2 -pipe". Any other suggestions?
26
27 Try my CD... it works in SMP. That will help test some of the problems,
28 especially since the kernel you are "testing" with is not SMP, so you're
29 not really testing anything.
30
31 > Does anyone think that my two CPUs having different stepping levels could
32 > have anything to do with this problem? One is level 7 and the other 9.
33
34 It is possible that is causing the problem. You never really know. I
35 *doubt* it should be a problem, unless one CPU is running out of spec.
36
37 > Greg KH thinks it's bad memory, but I'm skeptical of that because the main
38 > address that fails (some 30 times in a row) is at 1023.8MB and the Dell
39 > Utilities only test up to 1022MB, and because I haven't seen the problem
40 > with the liveCD kernel.
41
42 It still could be bad memory. I think I would trust memtest86 before
43 the Dell utilities. You could also try finding another bootable system
44 checker. I'm sure there are plenty available.
47 Chris Gianelloni
48 Developer, Gentoo Linux
49 Games Team
50