From: Kevin <gentoo-dev@××××××.biz>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Major MCE problem with SMP on Gentoo kernels
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 11:06:16
1 On Wednesday 12 May 2004 11:17, tom_gall@×××.com wrote:
2 > Greetings,
3 >
4 > Just to give this another perspective.
5 >
6 [...]
7
8 Thanks for your reply, Tom. At least I know it should be doable.
9
10 To all who've commented on this thread, thanks again.
11
12 I've now tried a stage 3 installation booting the 2.6.1 SMP kernel from a
13 2004.0 LiveCD (the SMP configs on 2004.1 LiveCDs are all broken---see bug
14 #49382).
15
16 I had no lockup problems while running that kernel, but after rebooting
17 with my kernel (gentoo-sources, built with Chris's
18 CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer") I've already
19 suffered two lockups. I set MAKEOPS="-j1" for safety.
20
21 Something very weird here. Next, I'm going to try booting from the cd and
22 chrooting into my system and then doing more extensive testing of the
23 kernel on the cd, but I'm really running out of options here. I'll
24 probably also try building another kernel with CFLAGS="-march=pentium3
25 -O2 -pipe". Any other suggestions?
26
27 Does anyone think that my two CPUs having different stepping levels could
28 have anything to do with this problem? One is level 7 and the other 9.
29
30 Greg KH thinks it's bad memory, but I'm skeptical of that because the main
31 address that fails (some 30 times in a row) is at 1023.8MB and the Dell
32 Utilities only test up to 1022MB, and because I haven't seen the problem
33 with the liveCD kernel.
36 -Kevin
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list