From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Trustless Infrastructure
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 16:36:31
1 On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 11:01:58 -0500
2 R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 10:36 AM, Jason A. Donenfeld
5 > <zx2c4@g.o> wrote:
6 > > Hey guys,
7 > >
8 > > While our infrastructure team has some nice technical competence,
9 > > the recent disaster and ongoing embarrassing aftermath has made
10 > > ever more urgent the need to have end-to-end signatures between
11 > > developers and users. While the infrastructure team seems fairly
12 > > impressive at deploying services and keeping the house running
13 > > smoothly, I'd rather we don't place additional burden on them to do
14 > > everything they're doing securely. Specifically, I'd like to ensure
15 > > that 100% of Gentoo's infrastructure can be hacked, yet not
16 > > backdoor a single witting user of the portage tree. Right now, as
17 > > it stands, rsync distributes signatures to users that are derived
18 > > from some infrastructure-controlled keys, not from the developers
19 > > themselves.
20 > >
21 > > Proposal:
22 > > - Sign every file in the portage tree so that it has a corresponding
23 > > .asc. Repoman will need support for this.
24 >
25 > Signed hashes should be faster, no? Each directory with files could
26 > have a manifest.
27 >
28 > > - Ensure the naming scheme of portage files is sufficiently strict,
29 > > so that renaming or re-parenting signed files doesn't result in
30 > > RCE. [*]
31 > > - Distribute said .asc files with rsync per usual.
32 >
33 > Rsync would work with this setup, but there is also webrsync-gpg in
34 > Portage right now. This covers the vast majority of usecases right
35 > now. There is often no need to sync more than once per day.
36 >
37 > Speaking of, the keys for that have lapsed. Will they be updated?
38 >
39 > Cheers,
40 > R0b0t1
43 app-crypt/gentoo-keys has been updated yesterday.
44
45 with renewed interest in gpg signatures, I will endeavor to keep it
46 updated until is fully automated.
49 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>