From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: aballier@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: prune_libtool_files() and pkg-config dependency
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 23:08:10
1 On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 17:49:34 -0400
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 22:53:35 +0200
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > [...]
8 > > I'm not sure if you're aware of it but Gentoo doesn't aim at
9 > > supporting solely Linux and no other system.
10 >
11 > elf != linux
12
13 Gentoo != elf only.
14
15 > > Also, please tell me how to handle multiple slots sanely without
16 > > pkg-config in a package like Boost, for example.
17 >
18 > You should know since you are proposing a boost-utils.eclass :)
19
20 Eh, the world would be so much better if boost provided pkg-config
21 files.
22
23 For example, boost.m4 (provided by boost-m4) uses some wall-dumb
24 stubborn heuristics which always grabs newest boost and doesn't provide
25 any sane way to provide it with an older one...
26
27 > Anyway, my point was just to go from 'not providing a .pc is broken'
28 > to '.pc are useful and needed in some cases but not all'
29
30 But these some cases where there are needed result in the necessity
31 of installing them, and making the build systems aware of them. I don't
32 see much point in adding a 'backwards compatibility' to it as well.
33
34 Ah, while we're at it. If a library has macros referring
35 to the functions of another library (or just types) in its public API,
36 it needs a pkg-config file. ELF dependencies are not enough,
37 and the gold linker will refuse to work because of a missing explicit
38 dependency.
41 Best regards,
42 Michał Górny