From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: news item: changes to stages (make.conf and make.profile)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 06:11:35
1 On 25 July 2012 02:52, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina <zerochaos@g.o> wrote:
2 > While I completely understand where Fabian is coming from on all this I
3 > respectfully disagree. Long term gentoo users do NOT read the handbook,
4 > ever. I still install new systems with odd hacks that I picked up when
5 > gentoo was versioned 1.x and it pleases me, I don't care if those steps
6 > are not in the docs anymore or discouraged or whatever. I've not even
7 > glanced at the handbook for years, yet I've installed gentoo on dozens
8 > of systems since the last time I did.
9 >
10 > This is a big enough change that it will throw users who do not know,
11 > and my first impression of /etc/make.conf et all missing on a new stage
12 > is "file a bug report for a broken stage and assign it to those morons
13 > in releng". (please note the comic exaggeration and not a disrespect).
14 >
15 > This is a change that will break all new installs and expecting
16 > experienced gentoo users to read the handbook is simply a fantasy.
17 > Please, keep the news item.
18
19 +1
20
21 This is an important enough change to inform users about.
24 Cheers,
25
26 Ben | yngwin
27 Gentoo developer
28 Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin