From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: news item: changes to stages (make.conf and make.profile)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 18:53:37
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 07/24/2012 09:33 AM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
5 > On 24-07-2012 09:24:03 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
6 >> I guess this is a matter of opinion, but on Gentoo I don't think we're
7 >> really at much risk of driving people away by OVER-communicating. Our
8 >> users are used to things changing and a certain level of
9 >> fix-it-yourself, but if we know something is going to cause no end of
10 >> questions it only makes sense to throw the users a bone once in a
11 >> while.
12 >
13 > The way in which news items aggressively request your attention, makes
14 > them something that should only be used if it's obvious it's important
15 > for the user (e.g. postfix thing for postfix users).
16 > This particular change seems more something for -announce, note in the
17 > handbook, and something like the suggestion of a file giving a nice
18 > hint.
19 >
20 > My impression is that the message is absolutely useless to the majority
21 > of users on their *already installed* system, so don't make everyone
22 > have to see the news item notice a couple of times and run `eselect news
23 > read` just for this.
26 While I completely understand where Fabian is coming from on all this I
27 respectfully disagree. Long term gentoo users do NOT read the handbook,
28 ever. I still install new systems with odd hacks that I picked up when
29 gentoo was versioned 1.x and it pleases me, I don't care if those steps
30 are not in the docs anymore or discouraged or whatever. I've not even
31 glanced at the handbook for years, yet I've installed gentoo on dozens
32 of systems since the last time I did.
33
34 This is a big enough change that it will throw users who do not know,
35 and my first impression of /etc/make.conf et all missing on a new stage
36 is "file a bug report for a broken stage and assign it to those morons
37 in releng". (please note the comic exaggeration and not a disrespect).
38
39 This is a change that will break all new installs and expecting
40 experienced gentoo users to read the handbook is simply a fantasy.
41 Please, keep the news item.
42
43 Thanks,
44 Zero