From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: news item: changes to stages (make.conf and make.profile)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 13:35:09
1 On 24-07-2012 09:24:03 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > I guess this is a matter of opinion, but on Gentoo I don't think we're
3 > really at much risk of driving people away by OVER-communicating. Our
4 > users are used to things changing and a certain level of
5 > fix-it-yourself, but if we know something is going to cause no end of
6 > questions it only makes sense to throw the users a bone once in a
7 > while.
8
9 The way in which news items aggressively request your attention, makes
10 them something that should only be used if it's obvious it's important
11 for the user (e.g. postfix thing for postfix users).
12 This particular change seems more something for -announce, note in the
13 handbook, and something like the suggestion of a file giving a nice
14 hint.
15
16 My impression is that the message is absolutely useless to the majority
17 of users on their *already installed* system, so don't make everyone
18 have to see the news item notice a couple of times and run `eselect news
19 read` just for this.
23 Fabian Groffen
24 Gentoo on a different level