From: Pierre-Henri Jondot <Pierre-Henri.Jondot@×××××××.fr>
To: verwilst@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Installer Madness
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 02:57:59
1 On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 23:58:46 +0200
2 Bart Verwilst <verwilst@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Ugh.. Ok.. over to plan B. :o)
5 >
6 > I'll try to take a look at the code, davoid, could i count on you to guide
7 > me into this project?
8 >
9 > Ok. If somebody is willing to sign up for the installer creation, mail me
10 > in person (again, sorry :o( ) with the first part of the subject
11 > "INSTALLER", that way i can sort this stuff, and keep em in a seperate
12 > folder, so i don't lose it :o) I can use quite some help :o)
13 >
14 > See ya!
15 >
16 I won't mind the abandon of a graphical installer...
17
18 I don't think we need it, neither do newbies. I'd rather think the efforts
19 should go to the documentation (various parts of it) which must stay
20 up-to-date with the development of gentoo. (I remember some newbies having
21 an issue with the fdisk type numbers of partition, entering 0x83 rather than
22 83 for example.) This is true for the installation instructions as well as
23 the devel docs which should follow portage, ebuilds policies, evolutions.
24
25 The installation is, as it is, quite simple and its ability to be used in a
26 chrooted environment from another installation (or another distribution) is
27 unvaluable. By all means, this feature must remain intact.
28
29 For those who can't afford to have two distributions installed (they will be
30 less and less) or that are just installing gentoo as their first linux
31 distribution, what is sorely needed in the isos right now is some other
32 means to connect to internet, pppoe, pptp, isdn...
33
34 A propos : I had patched the small 1.2 iso adding pppoe support (rp-pppoe
35 binaries and instructions) a few weeks ago, I added (eugenesan asked me to
36 help him to do that) pptp support a few days ago. Iso, containing only ix86
37 stage 1 for gentoo 1.2 is there
38 http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/
39 gentoo-pppoe-pptp.iso
40
41 You could have a look there too :
42 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=8805
43
44 Right now, I've no idea if this second iso works or not, nobody having
45 reported about it (But the first did, that I'm sure). If you're willing to
46 test it, please report and tell me (on the forums or to my email) if it
47 works for you or not. (Does it boot ? (hope so !) Were you able to initiate
48 internet connection ? What about the installation instructions ?)
49 --
50 Pierre-Henri Jondot <Pierre-Henri.Jondot@×××××××.fr>
51 Page perso : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/phj