From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 01:51:36
1 On 4/8/16 9:36 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 09:11:48PM -0400, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 >> On 4/8/16 8:42 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>
6 >>> It is true that we offer a high degree of choice to users, but one of
7 >>> those choices is not which paths to install binaries and libraries
8 >>> into.
9 >>
10 >> I thought vapier was introducing a switch USE=usr-sep which allowed us
11 >> to keep an unmerged /usr, or are we completely eliminating this choice?
12 >
13 > This use flag, sep-usr, has nothing to do with the /usr merge. It was
14 > added as a way to allow a few more people to use separate /usr
15 > configurations (this means/ and /usr on separate
16 > filesystems) without initramfs, before the council decided that all who
17 > have separate /usr should be using an initramfs.
18 >
19 > Separate /usr does not preclude merging / into /usr.
20 >
21 > William
24 So I'm still not seeing a great gain from this merger. It seems like
25 you think the linker scripts are something bad. Why? And you don't
26 seem to like that we move some things around between / and /usr for pkgs
27 like coreutils. But other than coreutils, I don't know many pkgs where
28 we do that.
29
30 Alternatively, this may introduce problems. So it seems like we're
31 fixing something that isn't broken.
34 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
35 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
36 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
37 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
38 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA