From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 01:37:05
1 On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 09:11:48PM -0400, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 4/8/16 8:42 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > > It is true that we offer a high degree of choice to users, but one of
6 > > those choices is not which paths to install binaries and libraries
7 > > into.
8 >
9 > I thought vapier was introducing a switch USE=usr-sep which allowed us
10 > to keep an unmerged /usr, or are we completely eliminating this choice?
11
12 This use flag, sep-usr, has nothing to do with the /usr merge. It was
13 added as a way to allow a few more people to use separate /usr
14 configurations (this means/ and /usr on separate
15 filesystems) without initramfs, before the council decided that all who
16 have separate /usr should be using an initramfs.
17
18 Separate /usr does not preclude merging / into /usr.
19
20 William