From: Nicholas Jones <carpaski@××××××.net>
To: Gregorio Guidi <g.guidi@×××.it>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Info + Status Update
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:57:17
1 > I was just wandering why portage developers are so "close-fisted"
2 > about version numbers. Just call the upcoming portage 2.1.0, so
3 > you could even stop abusing the gentoo revision number for
4 > bugfixing releases.
5
6 Hadn't really though about it before it was brought up by
7 Genone in a dev discussion a month or two ago. There will be
8 some changes regarding version numbers that will be posted
9 this summer when I start pushing on doc creation and updates.
10
11 51 is intended to have 'security' features added like GPG and
12 GLSA checking along with developer and QA enhancements.
13
14 2.1 will be the transition to the transition/external API
15 and the reworking of portage's internal structure.
16
17 In short it's something to this effect:
18 Major == Concept changes
19 Minor == Structure changes
20 Patch == Functionality changes
21 Revision == Fixes