From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: gentoo-x86/net-misc/aggregate: aggregate-1.6.ebuild
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 01:31:54
1 On 20:54 Thu 28 Oct , Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 10/28/2010 07:22 PM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > Your committing this way actually supports the thought that you have
4 > > something to hide, because you don't document what you did, and you
5 > > didn't update the ChangeLog reducing overal visibility of your actions.
6 >
7 > ChangeLog is for users. The package content didn't change at all. There
8 > was nothing to log in for.
9
10 I like to see a ChangeLog message for everything. If an ebuild suddenly
11 breaks and a user sees no ChangeLog message, the assumption would then
12 be that he somehow broke his system. The QA team is not superhuman in
13 its ability to avoid mistakes...
14
15 > > I don't want to actually get that suspicious feeling, that makes that I
16 > > actually start looking into what you committed.
17 >
18 > When I see someone skipping ChangeLog, I take it as "something so minor,
19 > not worth looking into at all". Quite the opposite.
20
21 I take it as "making my job as a maintainer more difficult" because it
22 gives me more places I have to look to track down what happened and why.
25 Thanks,
26 Donnie
27
28 Donnie Berkholz