From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: gentoo-x86/net-misc/aggregate: aggregate-1.6.ebuild
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:53:53
1 On 10/28/2010 07:22 PM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 28-10-2010 17:20:13 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >>> I think it would be good practice if you would give a summary of
4 >>> what type of QA you applied, even though for you it may be obvious.
5 >>> I just see lots of unnecessary changes that are apparently considered to
6 >>> be justified by "QA".
7 >>
8 >> removal of quotes from "${A}", EAPI=2 to get src_configure to put
9 >> econf and tc-getCC in, || die to make dobin, rest were unnecessary
10 >> cosmetics not worth logging about
11 >>
12 >> so qa/cosmetics, are you really 'complaining' for not mentioning
13 >> 'cosmetics' in the commitlog?
14 >>
15 >> wont be happening
16 >
17 > I just want to avoid that it becomes legal to change any random ebuild
18 > to someone's liking, and then commit it without ChangeLog (so it is less
19 > visible?) with the commit message "qa".
20 >
21 > Your committing this way actually supports the thought that you have
22 > something to hide, because you don't document what you did, and you
23 > didn't update the ChangeLog reducing overal visibility of your actions.
24
25 ChangeLog is for users. The package content didn't change at all. There
26 was nothing to log in for.
27
28 At most, we avoided future bug or two about package not respecting CC or
29 package not installing anything but ebuild succeeding due to missing || die.
30
31 > I don't want to actually get that suspicious feeling, that makes that I
32 > actually start looking into what you committed.
33
34 When I see someone skipping ChangeLog, I take it as "something so minor,
35 not worth looking into at all". Quite the opposite.
36
37 > You, as a QA member, should extra carefully stick to the standing rules
38 > (even though you don't like them, or find them too slow/bothersome),
39 > because you can't tell others they don't do things you don't bother to
40 > do yourself either, do you?
41
42 Absolutely, you are right.
46 Afterall, the ebuild is fine, no? Why are we having this discussion? ;-)