From: "Paweł Madej" <linux@××××××××.info>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Looking for developers for a new 'Planet' web-app
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:37:37
1 Daniel Drake wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > As the Planet Gentoo admin (http://planet.gentoo.org), I often get
6 > feature ideas and requests for ways to enhance the Planet website.
7 >
8 > Right now, a python script called "planet" (www.planetplanet.org)
9 > powers the site. planet is a nice simple script, which is invoked by
10 > cron every hour - it fetches the weblog content for all the developers
11 > it knows about, finds the most recent 60 articles, and formats them
12 > into a HTML page which is saved to an area of disk served up by apache
13 > at http://planet.gentoo.org.
14 >
15 > planet is a nice system and makes it dead easy to set up a
16 > Planet-style aggregator. However the feature requests that I am
17 > recieving go out of the scope of what a simple script can do.
18 >
19 > Examples of what people are requesting:
20 > - Ability to browse the 'archives' (i.e. the content which has dropped
21 > off the
22 > end of the page, which planet discards)
23 > - Ability to search the content and the archives
24 > - Ability to browse by Gentoo herd, i.e. view the weblogs of the apache
25 > maintainers.
26 >
27 > I'm seeking people who would be interested in developing and
28 > maintaining a more dynamic Planet web-application which could handle
29 > features such as these.
30 >
31 > I hope that this will create a new open-source project (or an effort
32 > to extend an existing system, if there are any) which would be used to
33 > power Planet Gentoo in the future, and be easily available for other
34 > communities who wish to use it.
35 >
36 > I envision this being a database-driven application but all
37 > implementation details will be up to the volunteers who take up the
38 > task :)
39 > Unfortunately I don't have time to get heavily involved with the
40 > development, but I will "oversee" the project.
41 >
42 > This is open to everyone (not only Gentoo developers...) - infact I'd
43 > like to see this bringing a few more people into Gentoo development.
44 >
45 > If you are interested, please send me an email (dsd@g.o) with
46 > the following info:
47 >
48 > 1. Your preferred web development languages/platforms/etc.
49 > 2. Other languages/platforms you would be prepared to work with
50 > should the
51 > majority of other volunteers wish to work with those instead.
52 > 3. Your previous experience developing web-applications and working with
53 > related software (don't worry if this isn't much).
54 > 4. Any experience you have with blogs/aggregation/RSS/...
55 >
56 > Feel free to spam me with related ideas/comments if you have any :)
57 >
58 > Thanks,
59 > Daniel
60
61 As i suppose i could help some programming with that site but not
62 earlier than on november. If you will need some help then we could talk
63 more about then.
66 Paul
67 --
68 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list